How to handle emergency plumbing issues in Sydney
Woke up at 3 am to find a flooded bathroom? Ran out of hot water while showering before work?
Plumbing emergencies can happen at any time. Whether you have a leaking toilet or burst pipe, plumbing malfunctions can pose severe threats to your family and property.
The whole plumbing system may go down, and you wouldn’t know where to look. Plumbing emergencies can also damage property or cause hazards when they come in contact with your electrical installations.
So how do you tackle plumbing emergencies?
First, you need to be calm. Determine how severe the problem is. After that, you can handle the issue yourself if it’s possible. Otherwise, you should quickly contact a qualified plumber.
In this post, we will discuss the major plumbing emergencies, how to spot them, and what you can do to tackle the problem.
The most common plumbing emergencies
Here is a list of common plumbing emergencies you might experience in your home or office:
A burst pipe can cause an uncontrollable water stream to ruin your property. Several factors can cause burst pipes including water pressure, corrosion, wear and tear, and more.
You should first turn off the water supply and then get in touch with an emergency plumbing service.
Blocked sewers can bring your toilet and waste drainage to a stop. Act quickly to unblock sewers or drains on your property or you could end up with unpleasant damage from sewerage.
You can use a plunger to deal with simple blockages, however, serious blockages will need professional interventions.
No hot water / other hot water problems
Hot water problems can be caused by a variety of issues including the age of the system, sedimentation, rust and pressure build-ups. The problem itself can be limited to the heater itself or your piping, taps, and so on.
Common signs of a plumbing emergency
A few red flags can point to a serious plumbing problem. Some common signs to look out for include the following.
- A flooded room or bathroom. Standing water on any part of your property is a problem. It can indicate burst pipes, leaking fixtures, and other issues.
- No hot water. If there’s no hot water, this could indicate a leak in the tank or one of the pipes or the thermostat or heating element could be faulty or damaged.
- Showers that don’t drain. This can indicate a blockage in your drainage system.
- The smell of sewage. This can indicate you have a clogged sewer or waste removal system.
- Lack of water pressure. Lack of water pressure points to underlying plumbing problems such as a blocked pipe, because of accumulation of sediment that can end up blocking your pipes. It could also be caused by old or faulty taps.
- Gas smell. This can indicate a gas leak, which can be very dangerous.
How can an emergency plumber help
A professional, experienced, and licensed plumber will get down to find the problem at once. Local plumbers in Sydney like Absolute Plumbing Solutions can help you:
Identify the root of the problem
We’ll arrive at the scene and figure out what’s causing the problem. Then we’ll come up with a plan to fix the problem and get your approval before going ahead.
You can get all your leaks fixed, whether they are in your toilet, pipes, or taps. Sometimes, a plumber may need to replace parts like worn out taps or pipes.
Repair burst pipes
Burst pipes can be very dangerous depending on where they are located and should be treated as an emergency. They can also cost a lot of money to get fixed. Some burst pipes may be beyond repair, for that reason we recommend contacting an experienced plumber that can evaluate the situation and fix the problem quickly.
Fix your hot water supply
A professional plumbing service like Absolute Plumbing Solutions will make sure you get hot water when you need it.
What to do in case of plumbing emergencies
Here are some tips for dealing with a plumbing emergency:
- Make sure you and your family are safe. If you have a serious plumbing emergency, get in touch with a qualified plumber immediately.
- Assess the situation. Try to determine the root of the problem. It could be a leak, a burst pipe or a blocked drain.
- Shut off your water supply in case of leaks and contact a qualified plumber to help fix your problem.
How much does emergency plumbing cost in Sydney?
The exact cost for any plumbing job in Sydney depends on the factors which we’ve listed below. We value transparency, so our pricing is upfront. This means we’ll tell you the price of the job before we start so you can then decide before work commences.
Emergency plumbing in general isn’t necessarily more expensive than regular plumbing jobs unless they occur out of regular business hours, where an additional callout fee and higher hourly rate will be charged.
To get an indication of the rough costs associated with your emergency, call us and we can help to give you an obligation-free estimate.
The total cost of an emergency plumbing job is made up of:
- A call-out fee. Each job will have a fee charged to cover the cost of getting to your location. Our callout fee in regular business hours is generally $49, but is more expensive when the job is outside of regular business hours.
- An hourly rate. The plumber will spend the necessary amount of time to complete the job. More complex jobs can therefore become more expensive than simple jobs if they require more time to fix. E.g fixing a leaking tap vs. fixing a seriously blocked drain will be charged differently.
- Plumbing parts. Replacement parts or appliances may add to the cost of the job.
Dealing with plumbing emergencies is not a big deal if you know what to do. If not, you should always call a professional service like Absolute Plumbing Solutions.